The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA Skill: Assisting with a Bed Pan
One of the skills that you will learn in a CNA training program is how to assist with the use of a bedpan. When you begin to assist you will need to explain the procedure, speak clearly and slowly. Remember this is a skill that you will more then likely be tested on during your state clinical skills test. You will need to ensure that privacy is provided by drawing curtain.
Steps to Assist With the use of a Bed pan
- Before placing the bedpan – lower head of the bed
- Position client on bed pan
- Toilet tissue within reach-Assistance may be needed
- Call light device is within reach
- Remove bedpan, while avoiding over exposing client
- Empty and rinse bedpan – stores it
- Call light is within reach and bed is in low position
- After completing the skill, wash hands