The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA Skill Cleaning Dentures
Properly cleaning dentures or partials is one of the skills taught a CNA training centers. It is an very important part of personal oral hygiene care that is necessary to be done correctly to guarantee the best oral mouth hygiene.
Dentures are made of a very slippery material. Once you begin working a certified nursing assistant and come across a patient/resident that needs denture care, it is important to place a wash cloth in the sink. This will help prevent breakage in the event of dentures slipping onto the hard surface. They should always be stored in cool water when not in use. Hot water has been known to warp dentures.
Steps to Clean Dentures for the skills part of the CNA State Exam
- Place towel at the bottom of sink or basin before dentures is held over sink-This is incase dentures are dropped they are better protected against cracks and breakage that can cause bacteria growth
- Rinse dentures in moderate temperature before brushing
- Apply the proper denture cleaner product
- Rinse the dentures thoroughly
- The denture cup will then need to be rinsed -fill cup with cool water
- Place the dentures in the water
- Rinse toothbrush and return it to designated area
- Sink liner removed and disposed of
- After completing the skill, wash hands