The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA Skill Count and Record Respirations
Respirations is the act of breathing air in and out. To record respirations you will count breaths taken. Rapid and shallow Respirations can be a signal of something wrong. This could be a sign that the patient has the inability of the lungs to take in oxygen and difficult breathing This is why it is import to count and record respirations properly.
Steps to Count and Record Respirations
- Explains procedure, speaking clearly, slowly
- Counts respirations for one full minute
- Place Call bell device within reach
- Wash hands before recording respirations
- Report any abnormal recording