The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA-Skill-Dressing Patient With an Affected Weak Right Arm
There are many of reasons why some clients may have a weakened right arm. Strokes are one common cause of this. It is important to learn the skill of dressing a client with an affected right arm the proper way.
Steps to Dress Client with Affected (weak) Right Arm
- Explains procedure, speaking clearly, slowly
- Provide Privacy by drawing curtain closed
- Ask client which shirt he/she would like to wear
- Avoid overexposure of client , remove gown from unaffected side first, then remove from affected side – dispose of gown in soiled linen container
- Assist to put the affected arm through the sleeve then unaffected side. Moving the clients body naturally avoiding force
- Place call bell device within reach
- After completing the skill, remove gloves