The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
South Dakota Patient Care Technician Training
Individuals looking for a patient care technician training program in South Dakota currently have only one option. The Southeast Technical Institure in Sioux Falls offers a Phlebotomy/Patient Care Technician, Diploma.
Upon completion of the South Dakota Diploma in Phlebotomy/Patient Care Technician, a student will be able to :
Science and Technology
- Explain the actions of anticoagulants to prevent blood coagulation.
- Be able to operate and troubleshoot blood drawing devices.
- Recognizes the differences is patient vasculature when selecting vein.
- Understands the principle of blood circulation.
Problem Solving/Critical Thinking
- Recognize the importance of correct blood collection techniques in managing total patient care.
- List the factors that influence the integrity of a blood specimen.
- Identify the types of evacuated tubes by color code, state the anticoagulants and additives present, the mechanism of action and any special characteristics of each tube.
- List the correct order of draw for the various types of blood collection tubes.
- Perform dermal punctures.
- Identify the steps of the venipuncture procedure.
- Effectively interact with clinic and hospital staff.
- Provide quality and professional service.
- Demonstrate strong worth ethic and strong interpersonal skills.
- Works with patients in diverse situations.
- Exhibits flexibility and adaptability.
- Works to quiet patient anxiety before and during venipuncture.
- Provides friendly service by treating patients with dignity, respect and compassion.
- States the purpose of quality assurance in blood collection.
- Can explain the blood drawing procedure in words the patient can understand
- Discuss methods to safely dispose of contaminated needles.
- Discuss the purpose and types of tourniquets.
- List the required information on a requisition form.
- Define the chain of custody for patient samples.
- Discuss the use of gloves, gauze and bandages when performing venipuncture.
- Describe the patient prep and variables that can affect some laboratory tests.
- Effectively communicates with supervisor and other medical staff members
PCT Classes in South Dakota
Southeast Technical Institute
2320 N Career Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57107